MacIntel performance

I've searched this forum without finding much direct discussion about how SA performs on a current 3.0Ghz Mac Pro. I gather from the discussions I have run across that SA 3.5 is not a universal app. Is SA (for regular brush painting) as fast as a 2.5Ghz quad G5? as a dual 2.5Ghz G5? be

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Studio Artist 3.5 is not a universal binary. It runs in emulation mode on intel machines. Anything that is multi-threaded will run threaded in emulation mode on any intel machine with multiple processor cores.

For regular brush painting i find one of the original 2 GHz intel dual core imacs runs a little slower than the speed of a dual G5 tower. We also have a 3 GHz intel pro tower here and the pro tower actually smokes the dual G5 tower in the same test, running much faster than that G5 machine. This was with a test using the 'a gradient brush' preset that comes up when you first startup studio artist with a run of 400 paint strokes from the same generator start condition.
    • Bus speed and the performance of the graphics card factor in as much as processor speed. And since the quad G5 has 4 processors, anything that threads will split 4 ways as opposed to 2 ways on the powerbook. The quad G5 has a really fast bus so you see a lot of performance gains on that machine over a dual 2gig G5 for example. I don't have a quad G5 here so i can't compare it to a intel pro tower.
This reply was deleted.

This forum closing - my attempt to keep things going

Hi Guys,So I have setup a forum here:http://www.sawberry.com/bbs/It links to the archive stuff. Plus allows posting on the threads which mirror the threads here.In a few days this forum will close so this is my attempt to keep things archived and also allow the community to continue.The way it is setup makes it difficult to search but i'm working on that in the meantime. The basic is to preserve the knowledge from this site and search will come later just i have a day job also so I can only get…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Sejnicku 42 minutes ago