Good presets for large, fast brush-strokes?

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Lucinda Parker's work: http://www.laurarusso.com/artists/parker.html So let's say I want to make some really big brush strokes the size that you see in her paintings (the brush strokes may seem small in those images, but look at the dimensions of her canvases). My problem in the past with large brushes in SA has been slowness (keep in mind my canvases are rarely smaller than 3000 pixels wide). You make a gesture with the Wacom and then sit back while the computer does a lot of calculation and catches up to you. Yet I saw a video where Lucinda painted these large brush strokes relatively quickly (with her real brush), and I would hope the computer would enable that kind of natural real-time gesture tracking. Does anyone have any suggestions for brush presets which keep tracking your stylus even when you set the brush to large size on a medium-to-large size canvas? (I realize I can always make a small 1000 pixel wide canvas and then upsize later, but my 3000 pixel canvas is already a small version of what I will upsize to later. Going from 1000 pixels to 9000 pixels results in just too much shift. And I don't want this topic to get sidetracked on canvas upsizing--that is another topic I want to dedicate a note to.) Thanks! be

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What's the pixel dimensions of the brush source you would like to be using? I'd like to check it out in the development version for the next generation of studio artist since things do run faster there.

As far as working in 3.5 goes, increasing the path application spacing is always a way to increase the drawing speed of any preset.

Beyond that, it depends to some extent on how the paint synthesizer is configured. Multi-pen presets tend to run slower, and geodesic source brush can run slow, so you might want to avoid those unless you really like the inherent characteristics of them.
This reply was deleted.

This forum closing - my attempt to keep things going

Hi Guys,So I have setup a forum here:http://www.sawberry.com/bbs/It links to the archive stuff. Plus allows posting on the threads which mirror the threads here.In a few days this forum will close so this is my attempt to keep things archived and also allow the community to continue.The way it is setup makes it difficult to search but i'm working on that in the meantime. The basic is to preserve the knowledge from this site and search will come later just i have a day job also so I can only get…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Sejnicku yesterday