Not as a manual paint stroke using a pressure sensitive Wacom stylus but as part of an automatic autodraw session?

I've tried a lot of different parameters in different sections of the editor but this ability has eluded me.

I've also done a lot of reading in the 5.0 manual.

erik

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Have you tried the Brush Modulation panel in the Paint Synthesizer editor? You can have a lot of different factors affecting the width for automatic painting.12130104497?profile=RESIZE_400x

• I've tried many settings in that panel. It seems to affect the width of different strokes, but the width doesn't change for any one stroke.

• Perhaps another way I can figure it out is if someone can name a brush that demonstrates the stroke width changing along a single brush stroke path in automatic painting; I can then compare it to see what's different about it. Thanks!

• Here are my settings in the Brush Modulation panel and the Miscellaneous panel for this brush that changes the stroke width.
          I made this brush for auto-painting.12130243100?profile=RESIZE_930x12130243462?profile=RESIZE_930xNote that I have stuff modulating off of the Style Image I have chosen, but you can modulate off lots of other things.
          Is this the kind of thing you mean?  

• That is indeed what I mean.

Thank you for showing me the settings on your example brush; I'm sure I can troubleshoot my brush from that.

• I'd post the file for the brush, it used to be possible here, but it seems like that is not the case anymore.

• I've matched all the settings in those two panels, but still each stroke is one size...

Under Brush Type, what is the setting?

• I figured it out, thanks for your help.

I think what had happened is a very old preset that I had modified hundreds of times was corrupted in some small way, so that modulating the width was not working. I took a new preset from 5.5, applied all the settings from my old one, and now brush modulation works fine.

• Path length, Inv Path length,  Symmetric Path, Sin Path length, and Inv Symmetric Path are all different Size Modulation options in the Brush Modulation control panel that modulate the brush size based on the path length.

Keep in mind that unless you are using the Freestyle option for the Pen Mode ( a pen mode where you first draw out a freestyle guide path that is then painted in after you mouse or pen up ), the paint synthesizer has to make an assumption about what the maximum path length will be to calculate the path length modulation.  This assumption is based on the Max Path length option specified in the Path Shape control panel.

• Good to know, thank you!

This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13

Studio Artist is in Italy!

I was crawling the streets of Matera, Italy today and may have discovered where SA is hiding!  (see attached photo). Not meaning to make light of this great, sad mystery. But I just couldn't resist as I try to make sense of what's happening. Losing my connection to SA, Synthetik and John has been a great sadness... and if real, ends a monumental era in my creative life. love,~Victor   

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13