Replies

• You can paint in real time on the canvas and stream that out as a movie using autowrite in movie streams.

But if you want to paint on a running movie in real time i don't think there's a way to do that in 3.5.

I guess i'd like to know more about what you are trying to do. because if you think about painting on running video, do you mean painting on a layer on top of another layer running the video? Or painting on the actual video itself. You'd only see the nib of the brush for the later case since the frames would always be changing as you were drawing, while in the former case you'd see the entire stroke since you are drawing into a different layer that is composited with the running movie.
    • i saw an application called rotosketch where someone was painting on a running movie of dance. the paint seemed to be in real time, the actual painting being played back along with the running video. i tried it in a movie stream but the action stops when you paint so it seemed i could only do this frame by frame. i painted on a running video in videator and the video doesn't stop but the paint just sits there and does not playback in real time. i tried the autowrite option and the video still stops when i paint. i wanted to paint on the actual video because i have not tried layers yet. i did wonder if there was a way to do it in layers but i think you're right, what i was trying to do can't be done in sa at this point. when i've handpainted frame by frame it certainly looked like allt he action was playing back in real time. i guess i wanted to speed of a running video, to paint with the momentum of dance.
      • We experimented with something in studio artist at one point called a time path that never made it into the release version, where you could draw a path over time and then it would then instantiate itself as a series of keyframes that reproduce the movement over time. Would that essentially give you what you want? You'd have to render it out of real time but you'd get the live interaction you want for the actual drawing of the path.
        • that sounds like it would do the trick.
          • time path sounds cool
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13