Shortcuts

I though it is worth to open a discussion on its own about shortcuts. Maybe then some more people will react. The following John mentioned on another discussion: "I suppose now is a good time to open up discussion in general for menu shortcuts people would like to see. There is the issue of having to prioritize when you have a limited number of keys that can be assigned, so no promises. But i would like to hear about what features people would like to have shortcut access to."

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, could you have shortcut palettes, so to speak, that you could load and unload? Sort of like the presets themselves. Then those of us who mainly paint could use one set and others who do animation could use another, etc. I don't know if this is technically possible or not. I'm thinking of the different libraries and nozzles in Painter which work that way as far as I can tell. You load one at a time but you have choices of which library to load.
  • I'd like a series of hotkeys or shortcuts for selections. Being able to switch from circular brush to source image to lasso with a couple of shortcuts would speed up creating selections a good bit.
  • Is there already a shortcut (or can there be) to jump back & forth between the most recently used MSG & Paint presets collections?
  • 1. A shortcut (hotkey) for "New Layer" instead of having to mouse thru: Canvas,Layer, New Layer, every time you need to add a new layer. 2.Also, the ability to scroll forwards/backwards thru the blending modes like in Photoshop were you can use "shift + or Shift - " to scroll thru the modes. 3. The ability to scroll up and down the render styles while browsing (with the up/down arrow keys) would also be nice. For us tablet users, the ability to assign those shortcuts to our express keys and touch ring would make for a more fluid, creative process.

• There's a context menu for new layer. On the mac, hold down the control key and click in the canvas workspace, and a set of context menu commands will appear. New Layer is one of them. So you don't have to go all the way to the top menu bar.

All popup menus in studio artist work with the up-down keys. So if you select the popup for the composite setting in layers, you can scroll forwards-backwards through the composite options using the up-down keys.

What do you mean by 'render styles'? If you mean presets, you can select a preset in the preset browser list, and then use the up down keys to scroll between different presets in the list.

• Thanks John! I assigned the control key to one of my express keys on the Wacom tablet. Also assigned the up/down keys to the touch ring so as to be able to scan thru the presets, different layers, and composite modes. Also having 'Run Action" assigned to an express key is an easy answer to toggle an action on and off. Thanks Again!

• When working in Image Stream mode, with flags activated for Enable Gated AutoWrite , my machine gets slow. I would find it useful if a similar feature where available via a new shortcut to save out the image with an similar incremental name. 

What I'm saying is basically, if we could have a feature where you just click something in the corner, and a screenshot is added to a folder of images as we work, often I'll wish I saved a version from earlier which I hadn't done, simply because I didn't save 38 versions but might have done if there had been a quicker way to do so - hope this makes sense!

• Gated Autowrite is dumping out a timed series of snapshots to an open movie or image stream. If you just want to save individual snaps by command, there is a Write Frame menu command under File : Stream that has a cmnd f shortcut. So i think the existing write frame menu command and associated shortcut is what you want. don't have any stream write flags enabled, and then manually dump snaps when you want to into an open image stream.

• Thanks for that suggestion John, for me that works perfectly

This reply was deleted.