Can't get my brain around it!

So far I have spent approx. 2 months playing and watching the tutorials that accompany the software package. I usually follow with AS open. I feel like I need a hard copy manual for AS3.5 as so far I can't get my brain around it. I can see the power of this software and it makes it doubly frustrating. Any leads as to where to look? I really need analogies for clarification.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I watched all the video tutorials and I also printed out the manual and read the whole thing, it was very helpful when I had a question about something, and it also gave me new ideas to try out.
  • i also found tutorials on the web helpful, i googled them. i put sa aside for awhile because i was getting overwhelmed. what are you trying to do that you can't do? everything?! i hope not.
  • Some people print out the pdf manuals and put them in a ring binder notebook or get them bound at someplace like Kinkos.

What in particular are you having trouble grasping? Hopefully we can try to address some of those questions here on the forum and it's also good feedback for things to improve when we release new documentation in the future.
  • every time i figure out something i need to do - i actually write out a cheat sheet.
    with a program like SSA - so specific and complicated - there are bound to be some processes you forget - untill after the first 1500 times you do them. so i make quick shorthand version for handy reference.
    ironically, as soon as i write it down i usually never forget it anyway...... But.....
  • Sometimes I will make a screen shot of the layers palette. Labeling the steps on the layers helps as well as keeping a notebook. But by far the most effective approach for me has been to choose one small style or technique to build on slowly and keep on repeating it until I have a handle on it. Then I go back and slowly experiment and add new brushes and techniques to that. Then it isn't so overwelming. Periodically I go back to the tutorial disk as a refresher and to build my vocabulary. The main thing is just to have fun and allow whatever comes to happen. Eventually you will get a better sense and understanding of the software.
  • Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am now ready to plunge into again!
    Missing the fact that there was an electronic manual was the really big block...........
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13