New 4.03 Paint and Vectorizer Presets

I wanted to point out that Santa has posted new Studio Artist 4.03 paint and vectorizer preset folders to the Cool Preset Sharing Group here on the forum.

You need to be running Studio Artist 4.03 in order to use these new presets. They will not work properly in previous versions of Studio Artist.

The new 4.03 paint presets can be found here.

The new 4.03 vectorizer presets can be found here.

The paint preset download post includes a full discussion on how to install the new presets. You can either add them into your existing paint and vectorizer preset collections, or replace the entire old Paint and Vectorizer preset folders with the new ones. If you do this second option, then all of the old paint and vectorizer presets you used to have will be gone. including any custom preset you made yourself that were stored in there. So, you should make a backup of the old Paint and Vectorizer folders if you do this.

We're very interested in any feedback on the new presets, both in terms of the range of different presets we are providing, and how they are organized. We're also interested in any feedback on things we might be missing, could improve on, etc.

In the past we have gotten feedback from some users who expressed a desire for better preset organization, and access to a smaller set of more concise presets. The older Paint preset collections we have been currently shipping are more of a historical archive from all of the previous Studio Artist releases as well as the latest newer 4.0 presets. This newer Paint preset folder we're making available for people to check out is an attempt to better organize paint presets, while at the same time emphasizing newer features or paint looks and getting rid of quite a few of the older ones.

Feedback from users like yourself will be very useful to us to determine if we are on the right track with the new preset organizational approach we are taking (or not).

Whether you want access to all of the old presets in addition to the newer ones, or whether you just want to switch over to using the newer ones only is a question only you can answer. We provide information in the paint preset download page on how to do both kinds of instals (add to existing paint preset collections, or replace the old with just the new). 

I fully expect some people will be confused about what to do, so please speak up here if you have any questions about how presets are organized in Studio Artist 4, or how to instal the new presets so that you can use them.

Remember you can always drag and drop preset files on top of the Studio Artist icon to open presets from anywhere on your hard disk. The build in preset browser expects to see the factory preset organized in a specific way, discussed in detail in this tip post.

If you understand how the preset folder hierarchy is arranged, then adding new presets should be a snap. If you don't understand the preset folder hierarchy, then you are probably going to have problems or place things in the wrong place within the main Studio Artist Preset folder. So again, the forum is here for people to ask questions if there is any confusion.

You need to be a member of Studio Artist to add comments!

Join Studio Artist

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Merry Xmas to you and all at Synthetik, John

these are magnificent!!

• Great work, thanks Santa John and all the Synthetik Team....

Merry Xmas.

• Wow!!! This is going to take days to explore. I love the magic spiros! The new organization looks much better too. Thank you for this wonderful Christmas present, it's going to be much more useful than the real world ones ;-)
  • Thanks, Santa, for a fabulous Christmas present.  I feel like a kid in a candy shop--these presets offer many new and exciting possibilities and at lightening speed!  Have only explored a few in both paint and vectorizer, but am amazed with the results--results which would take time to create because of trial and error adjusting/tweaking of parameters, etc. are now rendered instantly in one pass. In fact, these presets invite more challenges. I like the labeling too...more accurate wording as to what the preset renders, so it is easier to choose one for a specific task. 
  • run paint run, run!

thanks a lot john

• I wanted a bike!........    :-(
  • Thanks John. What a great gift!
  • Note that there are 2 different download attachments for the new 4.03 Paint presets. The one at the top associated with the original post is for MAC users. There's a new one we added as a reply lower on the forum post that has been specially 'blessed' for windows users, so if you are a windows user you should download that zip compressed folder instead of the one at the top of the post.
    • We apparently botched the initial windows download zip archive i posted a few days ago, but i just redid everything and it should now be ok (at least according to my windows vista testing this morning). Windows users, please give the new paint preset archive for windows a download and let me know how it goes. Remember, you need to download the second archive for windows users that is posted lower on the page, not the original one which works fine for mac users but has some extraction issues on windows machines.
This reply was deleted.

Is anybody making a copy of all the material in the Tutorials Forum

Since the Forum is going away in June, has anyone started to make a copy of all the stuff in the Tutorials forum?I've made copies of some of the tutorial material on the main site, but haven't looked at the Tutorial Forum yet.I'm going to continue copying as much as I can for my own personal use anyway, but if anyone else is doing it, or has already started doing it, please let me know.Maybe we can co-ordinate our efforts. ps can't ..... believe John, would let this happen without so much as a…

Read more…
1 Reply · Reply by Thor Johnson Apr 13